Patumahoe RSA

The Patumahoe Branch of NZRSA was formed in 1933 at the suggestion of the late Colonel Aldred and was affiliated to Waiuku RSA. The committee had members to represent Patumahoe, Mauku and Waiau Pa and still maintains this system today.

In 1965 the branch decided to affiliate with Franklin RSA who had their headquarters in Pukekohe. In 1988 Franklin RSA was reformed and became Pukekohe and Districts RSA. It was intended to abolish all the small branches that had made up Franklin RSA but owing to a strong, concerted effort Patuma­hoe has been able to retain its identity.

Over the years since 1939 the branch in conjunction with Internal Affairs Department has maintained the historic soldiers and settlers cemetery and monument at Lower Mauku on the Waiuku Drury Road and also the Domain War Memorial Gates at Patumahoe.

At the time of writing the branch has three veteran members. One WW1 at the age of 99 and two WW2 in their early 80s. Our present membership stands at 36.

Jim Smith.

Excerpt from Patumahoe School – 125th Jubilee 1866-1991 publication