Patumahoe Hockey Club

Although there was hocky established in Patumahoe in the 1920s Keith Hardy recalls playing in the late 1950s, early 1960s with the likes of Mike Michi, John Eastwood, Jim Blomfield and Phil Meyer, all Patumahoe club players who, with Keith, made a Franklin Representative side that played Fiji in August 1960.  Kieth remembers for the game against Fiji the field, (behind Les McMurtries) was tended and saved until it was “as smooth as a billiard table”.  Unfortunately this tender loving care favoured the Fijians who relished the smooth surface and won 10-0.  Franklin, on the other hand was used to some lumps, bumps and mud, and at least for some club games they were used to bringing their lawnmowers along to mow a strip before playing.

Keith and his fellow players wore black shorts and white tops, the club later changing to a blue and gold combination.  in 1963-64 Franklin hockey became centralised at the Pukekohe show grounds and so the club, removed from its district, lost its identity.

The Patumahoe ladies hockey club was started about 1948-49 by the late Althea Saunders with one team being entered in the Franklin Hockey Association Saturday competition.  Prominent hockey families and players at this time were the Johnstons, Conroys, Klipsch, Browns, Millikens, McMillans, Beattties, E Henry, B Hardy, M Brady, M McMurtrie, R Litten and L Hay.  Several players made country week and Ann Johnston, Beryl Hardy and Lucy Hay went to Dominion Tournaments.  There was an active social side to the club but in 1965 it went into recess.

In 1978 Junior Hockey was started at Patumahoe school by Bronwyn Versloot.  The ladies club, in recess, found they could purchase ten new sticks from their old bank account, to donate to the school.  Such was the interest in 1979 that with assistance from Ann Jamieson (Johnston) and Dave and Julie Upfold, a combined boys and girls Saturday team was entered into the Counties Junior C grade competition.

In 1991 there is still one junior team playing.

Excerpt  from Patumahoe School – 125th Jubilee 1866-1991 publication