Patumahoe Bowling Club

“This club was incorporated on the 15 October 1923.  Of note was objective 3(b): “To provide a bowling green and encourage the growth and spread of all healthy athletic sports, pastimes and recreations”.  W E Johns was elected as first president and unfortunately all early records of the club, and other organisations, were lost after his death in 1949.

The club started with one green and a second green was added as part of the Second World War Domain Memorial enlargement in 1955.  A government grant of pound for pound was matched with money given from the district.  Membership grew from 27 in 1941 to 64 in 1964.  After this date numbers declined due to farm amalgamation which means less work force on each farm holding.

In 1953 the ladies formed their club.  Both sections over the years have had players who have excelled at Counties level.  Clive Howe still bowling at the grand old age of 87 would be the best known bowler south of Auckland City.  Lady bowlers of note include Ivy Hunter, Dot Landon, Mrs Bert Bradley and Mrs Cleary.  the club would welcome new membership.

Eddie Gallagher Secretary”

Excerpt & image from Patumahoe School – 125th Jubilee 1866-1991 publication