Patumahoe: A Social History

The much anticipated and exceptionally well researched Patumahoe: A Social History has now been published.

For those who missed out on the discounted pre-orders, you have another chance to purchase. Just print out the form below and send with payment (or payment reference) to patumahoehistorygroup@gmail.com:

History Book by PatumahoeVillageInc on Scribd

Pelorus Trust grant received


In September, Pelorus Trust gave a grant of $18,000 to do fire safety, upgrade toilets and disability ramp.

After that the building will be basically ready for use. Patumahoe Primary School applied for that grant as a sign of commitment and support. The CEO came out to present the cheque and look at the project.

Pelorus is the gaming trust which the Patty pub supports, and recently they have supported the rugby club with their covered stand, and provided 2 defibrillators to the fire brigade.

At Patumahoe Primary School calf club day there was steady interest in a detailed display about the history of the church in its various guises, and a rundown of the present project.

Scout Hall – Relocation progress and appeal


 
The project started several years ago when the Scouting Association indicated their intention to sell the Mareretu site of the Patumahoe Scouting and Girl Guide Hall.

The hall was a gift to the Scouting & Girl Guide associations from the local community in the 1980’s. Unfortunately after several years, the attendance of parents and families at both these groups did not warrant continuing a Patumahoe troop. The hall lay empty for many years, until Patumahoe School made use of it – as a new entrants class, and a storage area.
 
For the Scouting and Guiding Associations this building was no longer required, and many of the other landholdings had already been divested. Several years ago they notified the council and the community of their intention to sell the site. The project to relocate the scout hall so that the building and it’s community connection remained began at that point.

 
The Patumahoe Village Community Trust found itself in regeneration, and skills that had proven valuable to the community in the past – proved their worth once again.
 
After negotiations were completed between the Scouting and Guiding Associations and council resources were obtained, Kay Carter was instrumental in obtaining funding from the Lotteries Board, Lions Foundation & Charitable Trusts Foundation for $30,000 to pay for the initial shift and relocation costs of the building to it’s new site.
 
Built in 1907 from locally sourced kauri, the church originally stood between Mauku and Patumahoe before being shifted to Mareretu Avenue in 1958. The Scouting and Guiding Association used it from 1982-2002.
 

 
Below is an appeal from the Trust – please read and contribute to this wonderful project.
 
The letter can be printed below and distributed.
Community Appeal June 2012
You will now be aware that the Historic Presbyterian Church has been resited on Council land, is now preserved as an Auckland Heritage Building and under the stewardship of the Patumahoe Community Support Charitable Trust. After refurbishment it is intended for community use; clubs, celebrations, history open days etc. To clarify, the school intends to keep using it, but not exclusively and not full time.The cost of $30,000 to date has been enabled with funding from Lotteries Board, Lion Foundation, and The Trusts Charitable Foundation at no cost to the local community
.
In order to bring it up to tidy condition and council requirements, the following is necessary: Fire safety, redesigned toilet area with wheelchair access and ramp, exterior painting, kitchen freshen, some exterior weatherboards, heating, and general facelift.Therefore we are making a one-off local appeal before looking to a further funding round

9 June 2012 – Church Appeal Patumahoe